Make a Difference Campaign
Do you know of anyone who has made a difference in your life? Purchase a bracelet for them.
Only 50 Cents available at noon in the front foyer. Show your appreciation and wear the school colours!
In Loving Memory...
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of one of our beloved teachers. Cyril Sahadath is considered an icon at Pickering High School. He has worked at PHS for 25 years and is an established school leader in many ways. As Head of the Special Education Department Cyril provided support for students with special needs and for students ‘at risk’. He will be greatly missed, not only in his capacity as veteran Teacher-Mentor but perhaps, most importantly, as a father figure to many students. He will be most remembered as Head Coach for the PHS Track & Field Team. Amongst his many accomplishments, June 2011 comes to mind. It was in Sudbury, Ontario when PHS won both Overall Girls and Boys titles and back-to-back victories at the OFSAA Track & Field Championships. This meet is considered one of North America’s most competitive track meets every year. Cyril brought the PHS Track Team to win 13 OFSAA Championships over his coaching career, which makes him the only coach to accomplish this feat. Furthermore, he and his teams have been recognized by the Town of Ajax for their many accomplishments in this very competitive discipline.
Cyril was always quick to compliment the students by saying, “the kids did a great job”. Let’s take a moment to say… Cyril, you did a great job!
On behalf of the students and staff at Pickering High School, we send our condolences to the Sahadath family.
Student and Parent Safety Tips
Although many of these tips are for younger children, high school aged students may also teach their younger brother or sister these tips. Communication is the key. Teaching safety rules and street proofing tips can help you know what to do if he/she is frightened, assaulted, injured or bullied.
Here are some things youth and students should know:
- Their name, full address and telephone number
- How to use the telephone to call for help – police, ambulance and fire at 9-1-1
- How to reach the telephone operator (no money is needed).
- Where to reach parents or guardians at all times
- Not to accept strangers into the home. Children should tell service or sales reps to come back later.
- To take the same route to and from school every day.
- Not to accept food or gifts from anyone without parental permission
- Not to go near a stranger's vehicle.
- It is okay to say NO to an adult
- That no one has the right to touch their body where a bathing suit usually covers
- That if they are being followed, they should run to a place where there are other people and yell for help.
- If they are separated from you while shopping, to go to the nearest cashier or clerk for help.
Download your copy of the 2013-2014 Course Calendar here
OSSLT: Grade 10 Literacy Test
Click HERE to go to the Literacy Page
Pickering High School 180 Church Street North Ajax, ON L1T 2W7 P. 905-683-4760 F. 905-683-0491
Warning re: S-Trips. These are NOT PHS or DDSB sanctioned trips. Therefore, there will be no school or board staff supervisors. There has been misleading information that these are school-approved trips. All approved school trips will have a PHS Administration signature. If you have any further questions please contact PHS.